Sunday, June 24, 2007

Do the Right Thing

After having graduated from the university back in the US, I had set my eyes to return to France. At the time, most of my chum friends did not understand why I would even consider doing that. They say, in the US, we can make so much more money. Truth be told, they are absolutely right, but there are some things not even money can buy. After all this time, no matter the adversities and difficulties I have encountered, I have no regrets with the choice I made. It was the right choice at the time.

A couple of years ago, my French colleague asked how is it I still lived with my mother. I replied that I could not just leave her by herself being my mother. Obviously, the mentality among Americans and French is different from that of Asians or Africans. The Western mentality has always been that of a bird leaving his / her nest and making it on its own. Whereas in Asia for instance, children stay with the parents for quite some time. At times, even living with the parents after marriage and having children. In China for instance, you would even see even 3 or 4 different generations in the same household!

Several years after I had returned to France, my other friends also followed and returned to their homeland. Some, like myself, had returned due to family obligations. Others, while they were also making lots of money, returned to their home to be closer to their family and friends. After all that has been said and done, it goes without saying that money is not always the most important thing in life, contrary to popular belief.

So part of me is French, as I am somewhat of an idealist, and often think too much like your typical French person! Part of me is American, for I am a dreamer at times, and always yearn for the impossible and the great adventures. Last but not least, part of me is Cambodian, for I have always been there to help my family, no matter what the sacrifices. What we must always remember, is that we are who we are today thanks to our families, and we should never forget that.

No comments: