Sunday, June 17, 2007

Parents in Seoul

My mother just called from Seoul. She and my father have been there for the past week. She enjoys it a lot. Of course, she says it's just OK. Ah, once you know Paris, it is a rather difficult task to compare any other city. In fact, she says that there aren't alot of people who speak English.

Hmmm, that reminds me when I visited Seoul in 2002. It is true though, only the new generation spoke English, even after the world cup. What was awkward for me then, during my 3 days in Seoul, it was that I never saw another person who even came close to my tanned skin. I felt I was the only colored person in the whole city! It was even more awkward for my Korean friend, who is a girl.

What made this trip most memorable, was the fact that a total stranger that I had met in Paris a few months back, took the time and had the courtesy to welcome me in Seoul and tour me around. I have not met a nicer girl ever since!

No comments: